With snow accumulating and winds whipping, it’s time to add some protective lip balm to our maker’s list–we’ll need enough for stuffing stockings and some for our own pockets, zippers, and mittens.
WAIT. Zippers and mittens?
Yep, zippers and mittens.
That’s because we make our favorite Winter Winds lip balm in tubes with handy hooked caps to hook on to zippers and loops.
That means we never have to dig for our favorite lip balm when we’re snowshoeing, rummage for it when we’re hiking, or search for it in a purse before snow-blowing.
This simple lip balm recipe focuses on protecting and nourishing lips exposed in winter winds.
Even in bitter winter cold, it will virtually melt onto your lips creating a lovely protective layer.
We add the teeniest amount of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) essential oil to benefit from its wonderful antiviral properties and protect against cold sores, too…
Winter Winds Lip Balm
A simple, nourishing, and protective lip balm perfect for stuffing holiday stockings and stashing in winter coat pockets.
- 1/2 oz organic unrefined beeswax
- 1/2 oz organic unrefined jojoba
- 1/2 oz organic unrefined Shea butter
- 1/2 oz organic unrefined coconut oil
- 12-15 drops of Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) essential oil
- Lip balm tubes (about 13), with caps
- Lip balm tube filling tray (optional, but infinitely handy!)
- Plastic pipette
- Step 1 Measure out all ingredients.
- Step 2 Place the beeswax and jojoba in a double boiler or heatproof Pyrex container set over boiling water to melt.
- Step 3 While the beeswax melts in the jojoba, set your lip balm tubes up in the filling tray, if you’re using one, making sure it is stable for pouring/setting.
- Step 4 When the beeswax is melted, add coconut oil. When coconut oil is melted, remove from heat and add Shea butter stirring with a glass stir rod to combine and melt Shea completely.
- Step 5 Add 12-15 drops of Melissa essential oil and stir to combine.
- Step 6 Pour immediately into lip balm tubes leaving a small space at the top of each tube and reserving a small amount of the mixture so you can top off each tube as the balm cools and shrinks in the tube. This will give you nice, clean, rounded tops.
- Step 7 Allow to cool and set completely before capping. Store away from heat.