Our freezer and pantry regularly provide us with delicious reminders of previous seasons’ bountiful and diverse harvest. Many of our most delicious moments in the kitchen result from creative ways of using items we’ve previously put by.
Our chile corn chowder with bacon is a perfect example of how a handful of simple, home-grown ingredients can become something mouth-watering, nourishing, and better than store-bought.
Chile Corn Chowder
A delicious, creamy New Mexican chile and corn chowder
- 1/2 pound hickory smoked bacon, diced
- 1 organic onion, diced
- 1 lb New Mexican green chile, chopped
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 5 cups organic chicken broth
- 3 cups sweet corn kernels
- 4 small organic Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- dash of oregano
- 1/2 cup organic whipping cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- dash of hot sauce, dollop of sour cream, and fresh cilantro for garnish
- Step 1 Cook bacon in a large pot over medium heat until cooked, but not crisp.
- Step 2 Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Step 3 Add chile, pico de gallo, broth, corn, potato, and oregano
- Step 4 stir until well blended.
- Step 5 Bring to a boil before reducing heat and simmering for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Step 6 Add cream and stir until well incorporated. Using a wand mixer, blend until desired texture is achieved.
- Step 7 Sprinkle with a dash of hot sauce, a dollop of sour cream, and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro before serving.
- Step 8 Serve with a crisp, fresh salad and fresh-baked sourdough or green chile & cheese corn bread to love it like we do.
Wishing you deliciousness and joy.
Bless and blessed be.