Cancer, the fourth sign of the zodiac, is an incredibly creative, sensitive, and emotional sign.
Cancer tends to prefer things that are soothing, mild, cool, water-y (or water-based, like melons), or simple.
Cancers don’t like to be disrupted and neither do their emotional and physical bodies, particularly the stomach and digestive system, so no crazy extremes or imbalances here, please. While they have the capacity to enjoy and indulge many more exotic and fiery flavors and fragrances, we typically celebrate Cancer by honoring its desire for harmony, balance, and simplicity; you can save those other indulgences for celebrating your specific Moonchild’s desires in other ways.
Generally speaking, great care should be taken in preparing herbs, oils, or food for Cancer so as to ensure they are favorable to the body, the mind, the spirit, and, especially, the heart.
With its Moon alignment, Cancer often picks up on hidden “tides”. Putting deliberate attention to every detail, especially in alignment of archetypes, in what you create will help Cancer to connect with you and your offering. It could be as simple as the color of the bowl you use or as complicated as the exact (meaningful) number of seeds you include in a recipe.
Cancers are tremendous storytellers and appreciate well-crafted and thoughtfully connected tales, gifts, meals, and experiences; they will delight in the lore you put behind every oil, herb, and edible you employ to celebrate them. Cancers will also typically remember everything about an experience surrounding food, so be sure your culinary creations for Cancers are positively memorable!
In keeping with the soothing, comforting energy that Cancer desires, it’s no surprise to find gentle German Chamomile at the top of essential oils associated with the sign. With it’s supportive fragrance and calming effect, it is a natural choice for a warm–not hot!–refreshing summer bath.
Soothing Bath Salts for Cancer/Moonchildren
- 1 oz. Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 oz. Epsom Salts
- 1 oz. of heavy cream (full fat, to help disperse the essential oil)
- 6-8 drops of German Chamomile Matricaria recutita essential oil, preferably wild-crafted and pesticide-free
Yields ~3 ounces
- Combine Himalayan salt, epsom salts, heavy cream, and the 6-8 drops of essential oil in a glass jar, glass bowl, or large measuring cup, stirring with a glass rod or ceramic spoon.
- If you’re working with a jar, write a positive message about your desired outcome on the outside of the jar, if you like. Cover and allow to set beside a candle lit for your intention for added energetic potency if you so desire.
To utilize, turn on the hot water in your bath and add the bath salt/cream mixture just below the stream of water to distribute the blend in the water. (Note: You’ll want to use it all–this won’t keep with the cream and no preservative!) Balance the temperature of the water in the tub to reflect a warmer than your body–but not hot–temperature. Use to celebrate Cancer/Moonchild energy for yourself or to indulge your favorite Moonchild as you work elsewhere to prepare a special meal.
Pssssst….. To make the meal extra-special why not appeal to the cool and water-y side of Cancer with this amazing (not to mention simple and natural) frozen treat? It’s perfect for a birthday celebration in the hot summer months, but it will need to be made ahead to freeze in time for om nom nomming…
Watermelon Mint Freeze
- 2 T raw honey
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- 1 T fresh peppermint, chopped or 1/8 teaspoon mint extract
- 4 cups seeded, chopped watermelon (1-inch pieces)
- Combine honey and lime juice.
- Place watermelon in blender or food processor; blend until pureed. Add honey and lime juice and mint leaves/extract; blend until smooth. For best results, pour and freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions–or pour directly into popsicle molds and freeze for 6-8 hours before enjoying.
Bless and blessed be!